Monday, June 20, 2022

LIBBYLAND ADVENTURE DINNERS

 I USED TO EAT THESE THINGS! 


From 1971 to 1976, Libby Foods put out these frozen TV dinners especially for children . . . and I was one of those children.  But I had forgotten completely about them until now.  There were 4 varieties and each one featured 2 (yes, that's right TWO) entrees (let's get working on that childhood obesity thing, America!!!), two sides, a dessert and something called "Milk Magic" which were crystals to add to a glass of milk and turn it chocolatey!  The aluminum-foil trays (before most of us had microwaves, folks) had Libbyland characters "engraved" into them.  And the box itself would fold out into a 'diorama' playset background with puzzles and activities as well. 

The two main characters for Libbyland Adventure Dinners were Libby the Kid (a cowboy kid in a white cowboy suit) and Mean Gene (the villain who maybe just perhaps would later clean up his act and learn to dance on THE GONG SHOW who knows).


Holy moley, this brings back wild memories!  There were four varieties of Libbyland Adventure Dinners.  "Sundown Supper" was the cowboy/western themed one; it featured a hamburger, franks & beans, french fries, corn and chocolate pudding.  Next was Pirate Picnic featuring a hot dog, 'beefaroni' (which later switched to a Sloppy Joe and that's the one I seem to dimly remember), french fries, corn and chocolate pudding.  Safari Supper contained fried chicken (um . . . that piece of fried chicken up in that second photo looks kinda like a turd but I digress), spaghetti & meatballs with alphabet spaghetti, tater tots, corn and chocolate pudding (the veggie and dessert seem to be stuck in a rut).  Last but not least was the Sea Diver's Dinner featuring fish sticks, macaroni & cheese (with ham in it apparently), french fries, and . . . . WAIT FOR IT . . . . . .corn and chocolate pudding!  This was pretty groovy stuff back in the day and I remember, whenever I went to the Acme with my Mom and we'd sashay into the frozen food aisle, I'd spot them and ask her to get some.  And she always did.  Because she was a good parent! So, if you happen to own a portable tesseract or a bona fide time machine and you travel back to the mid-1970's . . . . here's a ten cent off coupon for you to use. 

 

2 comments:

Cheeks DaBelly said...

I used to wash mine down with a big, cold, crisp glass of Aspen soda.

Barbecue17 said...

I remember when Kid Cuisine hit in the 1990s when I was a kid. It was magical. I've never heard of these before. They're a few years before my time. Wildly cool, though.