Saturday, February 24, 2024

FORTY ACRE FEUD (1965)

 THIS FILM WAS RELEASED 4 DAYS AFTER I WAS BORN!!! 


And yes, I went to see it in the cinema when it was first released and it twisted my diapers all to tarnation!!!! I jest HAD to go see it when I was 4 days old because it's a documentary of my best doddy Cheeks' family and, even if Cheeks wasn't born yet, his pappy Bill Anderson is singin' in the film so criminittley I jest had to set right down and watch it! 

It takes place in the town of Shagbottom, Tennessee and unfortunately when the state was re-zoned they left out this 40-acre town so they're fixin' to have an election to choose a state representative to mosey on up to the state capitol and do some representin'!  There's also a family feud goin' on that's been happenin' fer generations -- like the Hatfields & McCoys -- between the Calhoun & Culpepper families.  We find that out when we see Postmaster Amos Quint (Sam Tarpley) referree'n a shoutin' match between Paw Culpepper ((Bob Corley) and ole Foxey Calhoun in Simon Crumb's general store.  One choice insult is:  "I always said the Calhouns got strong blood; one drop can ruin ten generations!".  Simon Crumb is played by country singer Ferlin Husky in a performance that's one step below Gomer Pyle on the I.Q. scale and he's wonderful. 

Husky does sing and pluck his guitar; notably a new song he likes to call "FELL OUT OF LOVE WITH LOVE WHEN MY LOVER FELL IN LOVE WITH MY BEST FRIEND AND I TRIED TO KICK IT IN THAT PREDICAMENT BUT IT DIDN'T WORK COS SHE FELL FOR THE JERK AND NOW I'M ON THE LAM ON ACCOUNT OF HIM".  Husky actually sings this song -- it's not just a joke -- and the song's great.  He sings it to young Del Culpepper who is played by country singer Del Reeves (who also gets to sing in this movie).  Del Culpepper is in love with Nancy Calhoun (Jan Moore) in secret; a Capulets/Montagus situation a la ROMEO & JULIET.  While all this is goin' on, TV host of the SMOKEY MOUNTAIN JAMBOREE show (Eddie Hill playing himself) is lookin' to broadcast the next episode from Shagbottom so we get a whole mess'a country music stars converging on the little town and we get a TON of great performances from such stars as Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Bill Anderson, Skeeter Davis, Ray Price, Roy Drusky and an uncredited Johnny Paycheck (who duets with Jones).  Also, Minnie Pearl plays Maw Culpepper.  


I'm tellin' you, this movie is wonderful is you enjoy 1960's country music.  If'n you don't, I'd steer well clear because that pert-near all this movie consists of along with some HEE HAW humour.  The flick was directed by exploitation-meister Ron Ormond and can be found in the super-duper Indicator box set "FROM HOLLYWOOD TO HEAVEN:  THE LOST AND SAVED FILMS OF THE ORMOND FAMILY".  FORTY ACRE FEUD takes places in the first half of Ormond's career when he was directing such exploitation jobs as THE EXOTIC ONES, UNTAMED MISTRESS and WHITE LIGHTNIN' ROAD. 

This is before he found himself in a crashing airplane and made a deal with God that, if he lived, he would make movies for God only.  He survived and embarked on his second directorial career making religious films; however, such was the wild & wacky nature of Ormond's 'talent' that these religious films are quite often weirder than his exploitation films.  Check out a personal favourite of mine "THE BURNING HELL" (which you can find on youtubers if'n you don't have this box set) and you'll see what I mean,  I LOVE "THE BURNING HELL".  I also love FORTY ACRE FEUD for different reasons.  For the over-the-top hayseed silliness and especially all the great music from when country music was still ACTUALLY country music before it morphed into bubble-gum pop in the eighties.  Damn, where's the soundtrack album fer this movie?!?!?!!!!!  I'll have to make up one of my own.  

  • This Must Be the Bottom  -  Del Reeves
  • Easy Come, Easy Go - Bill Anderson
  • Three A.M.  -  Bill Anderson
  • White Lightning Express  -  Roy Drusky
  • The End of the World  -  Skeeter Davis
  • Timber, I'm Falling  -  Ferlin Husky
  • Give Me 40 Acres  -  The Willis Brothers
  • Six Foot Two By Four  -  The Willis Brothers
  • Nothing To Write Home About  -  Del Reeves
  • Things Have Gone To Pieces  -  George Jones
  • Love Bug  -  George Jones
  • You Taught Me Everything That I Know  -  Skeeter Davis
  • The Other Woman (In My Life)  -  Ray Price
  • The Last Letter  -  Ray Price
  • It's All In Your Mind  -  Hugh X. Lewis
  • Blue Kentucky Girl  -  Loretta Lynn
  • (My Friends Are Gonna Be) Strangers  -  Roy Drusky
  • Happy Birthday (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year)  -  Loretta Lynn
  • Gone  -  Ferlin Husky

5 comments:

Cheeks DaBelly said...

Oddly enough, I've been downloading quite a bit of older country music lately and would you believe it, I still never did hear of this here movin' pitcher show you have been talkin' 'bout.

Can you say Whisperin' Cerpts? This of course is just a working title, there may be a change by the time it's actually made.

Cerpts said...

Yeah, I never heard of it either until I got this Indicator box set. Fear not, the soundtrack of the film will be on your upcoming Cerpts CD "ADVENTURES IN CERPTSLAND VOLUME #: PUMAS IN YOUR CREVASSE"! Also, this is a perfect double feature with that OTHER sixties country music movies ROAD TO NASHVILLE (1966) which we saw on one of those Mill Creek billion-movies-in-a-box-set exploitation collections. I loved that one (it had Faron Young, Johnny Cash, Dottie West, Marty Robbins, Porter Waggoner, Waylon Jennings AND Doodles Weaver in it) but I think I love this one even a tiny bit more!!!

Cerpts said...

By the way . . . I HIGHLY APPROVE of the title "Whisperin' Cerpts" for obvious reasons!!!

Cheeks DaBelly said...

I do recall Road to Nashville and I thought of it immediately when reading about this one. Now, whens do we frolic to do the exchanging of cds with songs on them from the old vault of country musics long forgotten greats.

Cerpts said...

Yeah, I know. Things have been a little rough lately but I wanna frolic a whole bunch. Of course, I only have ONE cerpts CD ready as of right now because I'm waiting for a couple "cerpts fodder" to arrive in da mail. The third volume of ADVENTURES IN CERPTSLAND subtitled PUMAS IN YOUR CREVASSE is 75% finished but the odd duck cerpts CD "IN THIS CORNER OF THE CERPTS" is finished including CD cover art AND liner notes. So the question is: will I be able to complete the Cerpts CD by this weekend and will I feel up to frolicking in any case. Only the nose knows. As they said on my SNOOPY VS THE RED BARON lp.