Wednesday, October 26, 2022

CREEPY CLASSICS [1987]

 THIS IS A REAL TRIP IN THE WAYBACK MACHINE. 


I'm pretty sure I ran out and got this video the very day it first went on sale in October 1987 for the Halloween season!  You had to go to an actual Hallmark Store to get it (no there was no internet, Know-Nothing Tots) and I hopped in my copper-coloured 1975 Ford Granada and trucked on down. 

At 30 minutes, this is admittedly just a glorified trailer compilation but it's hosted by the legendary Vincent Price; making it a cut (and slash) above all the rest.  Vinnie is seated in a movie theatre (serve me up some of that hot bloodied popcorn!!!) and acts as our guide while various horror movie trailers (as well as many actual scenes from the films themselves) are projected up on the silver screen.  There is nice running joke throughout the video (yes, this was VHS) that utilizes the 'Disembodied Hand' segment of DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS {1965}.  Evenly spaced throughout the video are clips featuring Christopher Lee being tormented by the crawling hand; Vinnie keeps checking back in with Christopher to see how he's managing against the creepy crawler.  Vinnie treats us to clips from HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF, Roger Corman's THE RAVEN, THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM, and the original INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS.  Trailers shown include THE BLOB, Corman's THE RAVEN (again), MACABRE, WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST and ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE, DINOSAURUS and  THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS.  CREEPY CLASSICS is designed to play before you begin your horror movie marathon session as something of an appetizer.  As Vinnie says at the end of the video:  "Well, our feature presentation is about to begin.  I hope you've enjoyed our chilling little chat as much as I have.  There's nothing like a good shiver to bring people closer.  So why not pop a little popcorn, turn out the lights and enjoy an eerie movie soon.  Just make sure there's a hand nearby to hold . . . . preferably with a live body attached to it!"    

2 comments:

Caffeinated Joe said...

I don't recall this, but I would have been driving down to Hallmark had I known, albeit in Chevy Camaro. ;)

Cerpts said...

LOL I picked my tape up in my 1975 Ford Granada!

Oh and this is actually up a couple times on youtube: here's one link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN05Iex3LYA