Monday, October 03, 2022

HANGING IN THE GALLERY

 HERE ARE A FEW OF THOSE AFOREMENTIONED CLASSIC PAINTINGS THAT ARE HANGING (BY THE NECK UNTIL DEAD) IN HORROR MOVIES:


Before and after portraits of our hero in the 1945 classic THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY.  (The "pretty" portrait of actor Hurd Hatfield is by Henrique Medina while the "sinful" monster portrait is by Ivan Albright).




That painting you can walk right into in horror anthology film THREE CASES OF MURDER  {1955}



Those pesky Ushers and their demonic house in Roger Corman's masterpiece HOUSE OF USHER {1960} all done by the maestro Burt Shonberg!



That painting that keeps changing showing the corpses getting nearer and nearer in the 1969 pilot film of NIGHT GALLERY.  I'm not sure but this could be the work of artist Jaroslav "Jerry" Gebr.




One of my favourites is the Lovecraftian painting from the awesome Amicus THE CREEPING FLESH  {1973}.  I wish I knew who did this magnificent painting.  Anyone know?




And what other fantastic paintings from horror films did I forget???



5 comments:

Caffeinated Joe said...

Cannot think of any from film, but since you included Night Gallery, I feel okay mentioning the final episode of Friday the 13th: The Series, called The Charnel Pit. The cursed antique is a double-sided painting that sends Micki back in time to tangle with the Marquis de Sade. Good episode, sad it was the last one.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0583340/mediaviewer/rm3123530240/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

Cerpts said...

Hey! Wassup Caffeinated Joe! Yep, I only included the 1969 NIGHT GALLERY TV movie or else I'd have to list like every single episode of NIGHT GALLERY because ALL those paintings were fantastic! I actually don't think I ever saw the final episode of FRIDAY THE 13th: THE SERIES but I do own the complete series on a dvd box set. Looks like I'm gonna have to pull that down off the shelf. Thanks for the recommend, C.J.!!!

Cheeks DaBelly said...

I've only ever knew it as the painting from The Creeping Flesh. Now as for other pieces of artwork: The painting of Tom Baker in Tales From the Crypt. Take your pick from any of the demented pieces from Color Me Blood Red. Vigo the Carpathian from Ghostbusters 2 is pretty good as well although technically not horror I guess.

Phillyradiogeek said...

The only one I could think of was one from another Amicus movie, And Now The Screaming Starts. At the end of this trailer, a killer hand bursts through the painting of a nobleman. A creepy film!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3_5YyFEzu8

Cerpts said...

YES!!! Good catch, Phillyradiogeek! That hand comes right through the painting. More 70's horror goodness!