Tuesday, October 12, 2021

TALES OF THE UNCANNY [2020]

 TIME FOR A HORROR DOCUMENTARY. 


Severin Films originally intended this doc as a special feature on their THEATRE BIZARRE blu ray but, I suppose, got so much material they decided to make a full feature length doc of it.  And I'm glad they did because horror anthology films need their own full length documentary.  Whether this is it or not (and there is some debate), I still enjoyed the hell out of it if only because it shows all these horror anthology movies which I love.  I mean, just look at that cover:  BLACK SABBATH, TALES OF TERROR, TALES FROM THE CRYPT, DEAD OF NIGHT, TRILOGY OF TERROR and CREEPSHOW!  This documentary covers everything from 1919's EERIE TALES up to the current day; of course making special note of the wonderful Amicus string of horror anthologies.  There are quite a few "talking head" interviews which are conducted over Skype and the like owing to the times (2020) during which this was made; however, while the quality is necessarily compromised, it is not off-putting.  It'll actually be something of a curio piece years from now when we remember  the pandemic of 2020.  Having said how much I enjoyed this fun doc, it's by no means a definitive take on the subject.  Hopefully one day we'll get one.  But for now, this blu ray from Severin is perfect viewing for the Halloween season which not only gives us (trick or) treats from dozens of horror anthology films but also features as special features the entire films EERIE TALES (1919) and HISTOIRES EXTRAORDINARES aka STRANGE TALES (1949):  the German and French respectively horror anthology films mentioned in the documentary. Great fun!

 

  Of special note is a horror anthology film I'd never heard of before that was brought to my attention through this documentary:  THREE CASES OF MURDER (1955).  This English film made much in the style of 1945's classic DEAD OF NIGHT is sadly not included on this blu ray but I quickly hunted down a copy and it's an unknown gem!  Consisting of three stories, the first tale is absolutely fantastic:  moody, unsettling and atmospheric!  Two shocks are in this movie:  firstly being the fact that the first and best story is directed by the great Wendy Toye and secondly that the third tale in the film stars Orson Welles (!).   I'll have to write a post about this one someday!

7 comments:

Caffeinated Joe said...

I have to look up that Three Cases of Murder, since I love Dead of Night. Thanks for the heads up!

Cerpts said...

I owe it all to TALES OF THE UNCANNY since I had never heard of THREE CASES OF MURDER before that. There sadly is no release in the US but I found it on a European dvd which you'll need an all-region player to watch.

Cheeks DaBelly said...

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVE Horror Anthologies!!! My favorite type of horror movie in fact. Ya know with the short attention span and all.

Cerpts said...

Ain't it da troot!!!!

However, you guys might be interested to know that I will be posting about THREE CASES OF MURDER . . . . and you'll see it pop up in about a week.

Barbecue17 said...

I'm going to track this down. Anthologies are some of my favorite horror films! I think so many horror concepts work better at a shorter length and the way you can throw in a few different types of scares at once just makes them more effective and fun.

Cerpts said...

I love horror anthologies too! This documentary is a fairly new release so you should have no trouble finding a copy.

Cheeks DaBelly said...

Are there ever any tales of the canny? They always seem to be of the uncanny variety.