Thursday, March 08, 2007

JOHN INMAN DIES AT AGE 71.
Just wanted to mark the passing of the one and only Mr. Humphries from the classic silly Britcom "Are You Being Served?"; who died today at the age of 71. While all the furore over Captain America dying will probably grab all the limelight, I wanted to make sure this veteran funnyman didn't pass into that great department store in the sky without due notice being given. John Inman started out in show business at the ripe old age of 13 and has been going ever since. His greatest love was pantomime and he constantly appeared in British pantomime stage shows over the years. But, of course, we will always remember him as Mr. Humphries who would answer the classic "Are You Being Served?" catchphrase: "Are you free???" with his own classic high-pitched catchphrase: "IIIIIIII'mmm Freeeeeeeee!!!" Now I'll have to go watch some old episodes and get me a good chuckle.

2 comments:

Cheeks DaBelly said...

Captain who died?? This is sad news, also with Pauline Fowler being killed off of Eastenders and Alan Quartemaine on General Hospital it all just doesn't seem right anymore. I'm getting older than I am comfortable with it seems.

Pax Romano said...

I just read this yesterday...very sad, always loved Are You Being Served.

Good night Mr. Humphrey's, you will be missed; and I am unanimous in that!