Tuesday, March 01, 2011

FILM MASTERPIECES - WHO SAYS SO?
As you may already know, our friend Weaverman over at the FLEAPIT has undertaken the task of listing 25 Film Masterpieces: films which he feels are true (and rare) masterpieces of the cinematic art. You may also know that he's gotten a bit of stick for his choices being "unsurprising" or "predictible". Well, the month of March is upon us and I thought that I would also undertake to list 25 film masterpieces which do not duplicate Weaverman's choices . . . AND which I hope will be a tad more surprising and thought provoking. In the choosing of which films I think are cinematic masterpieces, I shall try my very best to spotlight films which, for one reason or the other, haven't gotten as much attention from the critics as CITIZEN KANE or CITY LIGHTS. But rest assured, these are not merely "great" films but, I think, are true film masterpieces illustrating the highest form of the art. Stay tuned for the very best film has to offer.

5 comments:

Cheeks DaBelly said...

Yeah well I already have a problem with this. Citizen Kane... I have never seen the movie so I have no personal input regarding it however I have heard almost as many people say they loved as say they hated it. Looking further into it, and I know this doesn't hold very much water but, Citizen Kane didn't even win the Best Picture Oscar. That honor went to How Green Was My Valley.




Yeah I had to let that sink in for a minute. Really academy? Really? Well if weren't going to give it to CK couldn't it have at least been The Maltese Falcon?

Cerpts said...

Ummmmm....I think you're missing the point here. . .

Cheeks DaBelly said...

you mean besides the one that's on top of your head? then maybe I am...

Weaverman said...

I never really got HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY winning over either KANE or FALCON which were much better movies than Ford's over sentimental syrupy hynm to the valleys and slag heaps of Wales (by which you may guess it is not one of my favourite Ford films)but I suppose Ford's already enviable reputation was going to oust two tyro efforts by new kids on the block. As for your 25 choices it is a full rebuttal to all those who say that you Yanks don't do irony. Well done.

Cerpts said...

Wait . . . are you being ironic when you say we Yanks don't do irony???

Stop making my brain hurt!!!! I'm American, fer corn's sake!