Monday, November 16, 2020

THE MURRAY HILL RADIO THEATRE PRESENTS THE GREEN HORNET

 NEW VINYL OF AN OLD FAVOURITE! 


I've probably told this story before (in fact, I did -- right here on my companion blog) but I got into what is known as "Old Time Radio Shows" in the late 70's -- probably 1977 or thereabouts.  At that time, I took out every old-time radio record that my middle school library had available -- which wasn't much but sufficient to get me started.  Among that first handful was my first encounter with The Shadow on a 3-record set produced by Murray Hill Records.  And here it is:



This 3 record set was something like the holy grail to me and I checked it out of the library over and over and over again!  Such a long-time familiarity obviously caused everything about this record to become iconic in my mind:  the 6 Shadow episodes listened to repeatedly and the cover art which I stared at continuosly while listening to the records.  I mean, just look at that pulp cover artwork sandwiched into the speaker of a vintage radio with "THE MURRAY HILL RADIO THEATRE" emblazoned at the top.  Just the sight of any Murray Hill record of old-time radio hits me in the nostalgia-noggin!  


Well, lately in the last year I've taken to Discogs to buy some vinyl which I've known about and coveted for decades but never got a chance to pick up.  And one of those I just received in the mail:  THE MURRAY HILL RADIO THEATRE PRESENTS THE GREEN HORNET seen above.  What a beauty!  The box itself is in near-perfect condition and so are the records themselves!  Now, I have billions of old-radio shows in my vault but there's just nothing like listening to them on vinyl; which is the way I first listened to them oh those many decades ago. Since by this time I've picked up about a dozen old vinyl treasures (not all old-time radio shows, either) for myself, I thought I might even post about some of the more interesting of them here because they're boffo keen!

2 comments:

Cheeks DaBelly said...

And the Green Hornet is pandemic ready.

Cerpts said...

Bzzzzz Bzzzzzz! He's also ready for any murderwasps.