Friday, January 29, 2021

YEAR-BY-YEAR RANKING: 1939

 


  1. ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS
  2. MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
  3. THE RULES OF THE GAME
  4. SON OF FRANKENSTEIN
  5. STAGECOACH
  6. THE WOMEN
  7. THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME
  8. ON BORROWED TIME
  9. DESTRY RIDES AGAIN
  10. NINOTCHKA
  11. THE WIZARD OF OZ
  12. WUTHERING HEIGHTS
  13. IN NAME ONLY
  14. LE JOUR SE LEVE
  15. THE ROARING TWENTIES
  16. THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES
  17. DARK VICTORY
  18. THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX
  19. YOUNG MR. LINCOLN
  20. GOODBYE MR. CHIPS
  21. THE SPY IN BLACK
  22. THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES
  23. CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND
  24. GULLIVER'S TRAVELS
  25. THE FACE AT THE WINDOW
  26. MR. MOTO TAKES A VACATION
  27. THE GRACIE ALLEN MURDER CASE
  28. TORCHY BLANE IN CHINATOWN
  29. IRISH LUCK
  30. THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG
  31. TOWER OF LONDON
  32. FRONTIER MARSHAL
  33. DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK
  34. HONOLULU
  35. YOU CAN'T CHEAT AN HONEST MAN
  36. THE BRONZE BUCKAROO
  37. GOOD GIRLS GO TO PARIS
  38. JAMAICA INN
  39. MIDNIGHT
  40. THE PHANTOM CREEPS
  41. THE GORILLA
  42. THE STORY OF VERNON AND IRENE CASTLE
  43. KING OF THE UNDERWORLD
  44. BUCK ROGERS
  45. TORTURE SHIP
  46. MR. MOTO'S LAST WARNING
  47. DEVIL'S ISLAND
  48. ASK A POLICEMAN
  49. DODGE CITY
  50. CITY IN DARKNESS
  51. BULLDOG DRUMMOND'S BRIDE
  52. BULLDOG DRUMMOND'S SECRET POLICE
  53. THE MAN IN THE IRON MASK
  54. TARZAN FINDS A SON
  55. NICK CARTER, MASTER DETECTIVE
  56. THE OKLAHOMA KID
  57. STANLEY AND LIVINGSTONE
  58. TORCHY RUNS FOR MAYOR
  59. INSPECTOR HORNLEIGH
  60. NANCY DREW AND THE HIDDEN STAIRCASE
  61. THE CAT AND THE CANARY
  62. THE RETURN OF DOCTOR X
  63. HARLEM RIDES THE RANGE
  64. THEY MADE ME A CRIMINAL
  65. BLONDIE MEETS THE BOSS
  66. BLONDIE BRINGS UP BABY
  67. BLONDIE TAKES A VACATION
  68. THE MYSTERY OF MR. WONG
  69. NANCY DREW, REPORTER
  70. JUAREZ
  71. MADE FOR EACH OTHER
  72. TELL NO TALES
  73. THE DEVIL'S DAUGHTER
  74. THE HUMAN MONSTER
  75. GONE WITH THE WIND
  76. NAVY SECRETS

4 comments:

Cheeks DaBelly said...

1. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
3. On Borrowed Time
4. Son of Frankenstein
5. Destry Rides Again
6. The Hound of the Baskervilles
7. The Roaring Twenties
8. Each Dawn I Die
9. Another Thin Man
10. At the Circus
11. Five Came Back
12. The Little Princess
13. Wuthering Heights
14. Stagecoach
15. Gulliver’s Travels
16. The Flying Deuces
17. Susannah of the Mounties
18. The Gorilla
19. The Man They Could Not Hang
20. Three Little Sew and Sews
21. The Return of Doctor X

Cerpts said...

Um.......I think you forgot to put a lil ole Southern movie in last place, y'all.

Cheeks DaBelly said...

Well yeah I knew I had overlooked it and yes it would get last place in fact it would rank somewhere around 30th on a list of 22 however I'm being very letterbox faithful and since I haven't watched it since I joined I didn't include it. There are several films that I have listed as my favorite from a particular year but haven't actually watched them since joining so I'm not listing those on these here lists amma giving to you boy ... I said boy now look what you went and did. You made me go full Foghorn Leghorn on yo ass.

Cerpts said...

You silly billy. Even if I haven't watched a movie while on letterboxd, I still marked movies I've seen as "watched" since I'm keeping track on not just what I watch after having joined letterboxd but anything i've watched in my lifetime. And that's about 90 years so far with my birthday coming up . . . and I know how to rock the run-on sentences especially when I surmise that it's just wishful thinkin that made you not put that certain movie on your watched of 1939 list. And who could blame you!