Wednesday, October 04, 2023

"THE BEGGAR WOMAN OF LOCARNO" from RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT! TRUE GHOST STORIES #52

 WE'RE BACK TROLLING THE SEAS OF 1975!


 
This time, I'm featuring yet another comic book I got (sans cover) at the Pennsauken Mart during a 1975 jaunt with my grandfather.  1975 seems like a great year for horror comics (and it was) since I apparently picked up a bunch of them that year.  Ever since I was knee-high to a zygote, I had gotten quite a few paperback books (with covers this time) that reprinted classic cartoons from RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT!.  In the 1970s, these paperback books ran into a couple dozen volumes and I had AT LEAST half of them.  However, the Gold Key comic book of RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT! was something I first encountered with this very issue!  I probably read it dozens of times -- something that was quite common with me back in the day -- and it holds a very nostalgic place in my heart as well as fitting in beautifully with the Halloween season!  A witch comes back from the grave seeking revenge!  What could be better for October.  It was only sometime in the 1980s when I tracked down a copy WITH cover in a comic book store (probably Eldorado Comics) and saw that the story was cover-featured in the issue featuring beautiful art by George Wilson; the unadulterated original painting featured at the end of this post.  So here it is:  another favourite spooky comic book story from my yoot.


OG George Wilson cover art

3 comments:

Cheeks DaBelly said...

I think I was married to her

Cerpts said...

That's QUITE possible! My memory fails.

Caffeinated Joe said...

The end is so matter-of-fact.