Friday, July 04, 2008

THE FIVE SONGS: ELEVENTH INSTANCE. On this Independence Day, I'm not gonna drag in Bill Pullman. Instead I've been reflecting on independence and the fact that we're never truly independent. We rely on the support and company of friendship. I've been lucky to have more friends than I deserve who put up with my wacky ways. Far from being a little ray of sunshine, I have described myself more as "a squirt of lemon to the eye". I'm acidic and I like it that way. Hell, at least I'm entertaining in my malfunctions. But since I have only five songs here to work with, I have chosen to list five songs which I strongly associate with certain people in my life who I'm grateful to call friends. There are many more, of course, but if you're not here it's no slight; it's just that as yet there is no one song I associate ironclad with you. So get to work on that. And meanwhile, with little comment, here they are -- the songs I cannot escape instantly recalling one person every time I hear it.
  1. QUESTION by THE MOODY BLUES -- Person associated with: Cheeks. "Why do we never get an answer when we're knocking at the door?" Good question. Good song. It also has special meaning for Cheeks.
  2. 4TH OF JULY by X -- Person associated with: Daddy Pax. How appropriate for today! This just happens to be my favourite X song. And I'm pretty sure it's his too. "On the stairs I smoke a cigarette alone. / Mexican kids are shootin' fireworks below. / Hey baby! / It's the 4th of July!" This song has a lot of energy, it really rocks and it's really punk in the best, most admirable sense. And so is he.
  3. WISH I MAY by ANI DIFRANCO -- Person associated with: Ilsa*. "I wonder what happens if i get to the end of this tunnel and there isn't a light / I've worn down the treads on all of my tires." I can relate with the world beating you down. We've both had that. "Don't tell me it's gonna be alright / you can't sell me on your optimism tonight / it's a stiff competition to see who can stay up later / the stars or the street lights / and all they really want is to be alone with the darkness." But the fact remains that through it all she remains fucking strong! How's that for something to aspire to?
  4. THIS BITTER EARTH by DINAH WASHINGTON -- Person associated with: Rob. This is also my favourite Dinah song and I first heard it because of this guy. "And if my life is like the dust That hides the glow of a rose / What good am I Heaven only knows / This bitter Earth Can it be so cold." Life is a series of hard knocks and it's realistic to see it that way. However, the song ends on an up note. "And this bitter earth may not be so bitter after all." And still always remains an optimist.
  5. GRAVEDIGGER by DAVE MATTHEWS -- Person associated with: Fink. I thought it would be appropriate to end the list in the grave. It would certainly take friendship for me to include a song by Dave Matthews on my list because I am definitely not a fan (Oh, it's SUCH a dark day here in the ole blog). "Gravedigger / when you dig my grave / will you make it shallow / so that I can feel the rain?"

6 comments:

Fink Master Flash said...

Well, I must say I truly appreciate that.

Thanks Bro!

Star said...

well i am impressed. i knew you liked one of the best ani songs she's ever written, but i had no idea it made you think of me. there you go bein' the coolest hep cat in the universe. you're folkin' awesome dude. and thanks.

Star said...

ps~i clicked on ilsaism and it linked me back to your eye candy blog with buster and the sheep and i am still wiping tears away and clutching my sides. man, i love that guy. best character on tv - ever.

Cerpts said...

Finkmaster --

Don't appreciate it too much. I really hate you. How dare you be the source of Dave Matthews pooping up my blog. I'm gonna hit you right in the arm!

Ms. Henrietta,

Awwww. You is a hep cat too. And you don't have to say "folkin" on my blog. Let all the foul language out!

And I completely forgot about the Buster picture on my blog. How many years ago was that? Two?!? One of the greatest pictures EVER!!! And I even attributed it to Ilsaism. You're right, I really AM the coolest hep cat in the universe!!! After you and Buster, that is.

Pax Romano said...

All wonderful choices...and yes I listened to X first thing in the morning on July 4th.

Cerpts said...

That's my boy!!! And I'm glad you commented because it gives me a chance to wish you a Happy Natal Day!!!