Monday, January 19, 2009

EDGAR ALLAN POE'S BICENTENNIAL! Yes, it was indeed 200 years ago today in Boston, Massachusetts when the granddaddy of all horror writers was born. Poe's influence has been felt by every single writer of the macabre ever since; not to mention the fact that Edgar A. Poe created the detective story as well. So we here at the Land of Cerpts and Honey could not let such an important anniversary go unnoticed. There will be more to come shortly -- including an audio tribute over at our sister blog BATHED IN THE LIGHT FROM ANDROMEDA. For now, let's have a word from the man himself with his poem "Alone":
  • From childhood's hour I have not been
  • As others were; I have not seen
  • As others saw; I could not bring
  • My passions from a common spring.
  • From the same source I have not taken
  • My sorrow; I could not awaken
  • My heart to joy at the same tone;
  • And all I loved, I loved alone.
  • Then - in my childhood, in the dawn
  • Of a most stormy life - was drawn
  • From every depth of good and ill
  • The mystery which binds me still:
  • From the torrent, or the fountain
  • From the red cliff of the mountain
  • From the sun that round me rolled
  • In its autumn tint of gold
  • From the lightning in the sky
  • As it passed me flying by
  • From the thunder and the storm
  • And the cloud that took the form
  • (When the rest of Heaven was blue)
  • Of a demon in my view.
All the many written works of Edgar A. Poe (as he signed himself in life) are well-known to all and just as well-loved. But visually, it has always been artist Harry Clarke who has best conveyed to macabre beauty of Poe with his spectacularly evocative line drawings illustrated the tales of mystery and imagination. Here then are just a few of Clarke's superb illustrations from myriad Poe tales:
THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH
THE TELL-TALE HEART
A CASK OF AMONTILLADO
LIGEIA
MORELLA
THE CASE OF M. VALDEMAR
THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM
THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER
HAPPY 200th BIRTHDAY EDGAR!

No comments: