Saturday, January 31, 2009

MEME TIME! OVER AT THE WONDERFUL PALEO-CINEMA SITE OUR GOOD BUDDY TERRY FROST HAS A MOVIE MEME UP AND . . . WELL, IT LOOKED LIKE FUN SO I THOUGHT I'D GIVE IT A TRY.
  • 1) What was the last movie you saw theatrically? On DVD or Blu-ray?
  • The Dark Knight was the last movie I saw in the theatre. The last movie I watched on DVD was BULLDOG DRUMMOND'S BRIDE -- betcha nobody else answers with THAT movie!
  • 2) Holiday movies— Do you like them naughty or nice?
  • Sadly, I think I like the nice ones. I do quite appreciate and enjoy the naughty ones but the "nice" ones have the edge with me -- which is very strange since I'm not the "sweetness and light" kinda guy. But I'm a sucker for them films like "MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET", "THE BISHOP'S WIFE", "CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT", "HOLIDAY INN", IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE", "A CHRISTMAS STORY", and even "DESK SET" which takes place partly at Christmas.
  • 3) Ida Lupino or Mercedes McCambridge?
  • That's really tough since I love Mercedes McCambridge in JOHNNY GUITAR and GIANT and THE EXORCIST and SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER . . . and especially in the INNER SANCTUM radio show entitled "MURDER COMES AT MIDNIGHT" -- you gotta hear that one. But I'll STILL have to go for Ida Lupino because she's so damn spectacular -- AND she directed THE HITCH-HIKER as well as 9 episodes of BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER. So it's gotta be Ida!
  • 4) Favorite actor/character from Twin Peaks
  • Damn, I'm torn between Piper Laurie and Russ Tamblyn -- so I guess I'll just have to go with Little Jimmy Scott!
  • 5) It’s been said that, rather than remaking beloved, respected films, Hollywood should concentrate more on righting the wrongs of the past and tinker more with films that didn’t work so well the first time. Pretending for a moment that movies are made in an economic vacuum, name a good candidate for a remake based on this criterion.
  • You know, I'd like to see somebody redo I BURY THE LIVING but without the copout ending which really spoils it for most people. And, of course, since no one has been able to successfully film Richard Matheson's I AM LEGEND after failed attempts with THE LAST MAN ON EARTH, THE OMEGA MAN and I AM LEGEND. . .
  • 6) Favorite Spike Lee joint.
  • 4 LITTLE GIRLS -- his documentary.
  • 7) Lawrence Tierney or Scott Brady?
  • Oh my god, Lawrence Tierney, Lawrence Tierney, Lawrence Tierney, ya mook!
  • 8) Are most movies too long?
  • No, most movies nowadays just aren't good. If it ain't good, of course you're gonna think it's too long. But if it IS good, it ain't long enough!
  • 9) Favorite performance by an actor portraying a real-life politician.
  • Should I really go out on a limb and say Alexander Knox as Woodrow Wilson in WILSON?!? Nah, it's probably William Devane as JFK in THE MISSILES OF OCTOBER.
  • 10) Create the main event card for the ultimate giant movie monster smackdown.
  • MOTHRA and THE GIANT MAJIN vs. GAMERA and THE STAY PUFT MARSHMALLOW MAN
  • 11) Jean Peters or Sheree North?
  • Jean Peters in PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET is the best dumb floozy I've ever seen!
  • 12) Why would you ever want or need to see a movie more than once?
  • That's really a question that many people ask and which doesn't make any sense to me. It's the same, in my mind, as wondering why you'd listen to a cd after you've listened to it once. A good song is something we revisit again and again for it's artistry, it's craft and for the emotional impact we derive from listening to it. The same can be said for wanting to go back and look at a painting by Van der Weyden or a pieta by Michelangelo after we've already seen it. Why would a movie be any different?!? I tend to inhabit movies -- that is, I enter into that world and visit with the characters and settings on the screen. I've even been known to restart a movie immediately after I've just watched it. I can never turn down a visit to Katharine Hepburn's playroom in HOLIDAY or her apartment in DESK SET. I am always welcome at Gloria Swanson's SUNSET BLVD mansion as well as Barbara Stanwyck's bungalow smelling of honeysuckle in DOUBLE INDEMNITY, the board room in EXECUTIVE SUITE or Imhotep's tomb in THE MUMMY. There's nothing I like better than to visit Pastor Tomas' church in WINTER LIGHT or the rain-lashed hotel in KEY LARGO. How could I not want to visit all these movies and more again and again. And who am I to refuse a return visit when we all know that everybody's goes to Rick's.
  • 13) Favorite road movie.
  • Grand Theft Auto. heh heh
  • 14) Favorite Budd Boetticher picture.
  • The Tall T
  • 15) Who is the one person, living or dead, famous or unknown, who most informed or encouraged your appreciation of movies?
  • I guess it's a three-way tie between Martin Scorsese, Weaverman and Dr. Shock!
  • 16) Favorite opening credit sequence. (Please include YouTube link if possible.)
  • Once Upon a Time in the West. You can watch it up there.
  • 17) Kenneth Tobey or John Agar?
  • Kenneth Tobey
  • 18) Jean-Luc Godard once suggested that the more popular the movie, the less likely it was that it was a good movie. Is he right or just cranky? Cite the best evidence one way or the other.
  • Forrest Gump was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. And they gave it an Oscar.
  • 19) Favorite Jonathan Demme movie.
  • Swimming to Cambodia
  • 20) Tatum O’Neal or Linda Blair?
  • Linda Blair. I mean, she's got a new "Regan in the bed" bobble head out now!
  • 21) Favorite use of irony in a movie. (This could be an idea, moment, scene, or an entire film.)
  • Um......the ending of BRAZIL. Or am I fouling up the definition like Alanis Morissette?!?
  • 22) Favorite Claude Chabrol film.
  • Sadly I don't think I've ever seen one.
  • 23) The best movie of the year to which very little attention seems to have been paid.
  • I don't recall any.
  • 24) Dennis Christopher or Robby Benson?
  • Dennis Christopher.
  • 25) Favorite movie about journalism.
  • THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS
  • 26) What’s the DVD commentary you’d most like to hear? Who would be on the audio track?
  • THE COMEDY OF TERRORS with Roger Corman, Jacques Tourneur, Richard Matheson, Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, Basil Rathbone, Joyce Jameson, Les Baxter and Rhubarb the Cat on the commentary track.
  • 27) Favorite movie directed by Clint Eastwood.
  • SPACE COWBOYS. OK, I'm kidding. UNFORGIVEN.
  • 28) Paul Dooley or Kurtwood Smith?
  • Paul Dooley -- besides all the work he's done he was also a writer for THE ELECTRIC COMPANY so how could I not choose him?!? All that and he was in STRANGE BREW too!
  • 29) Your clairvoyant moment: Make a prediction about the Oscar season.
  • They're gonna give Heath Ledger an Oscar. Or if that's too easy -- Best Picture's gonna go to SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE.
  • 30) Your hope for the movies in 2009.
  • That Hollywood will suddenly stop making movies by committee and actually let people who care about movies make them.
  • 31) What’s your top 10 of 2008? (If you have a blog and have your list posted, please feel free to leave a link to the post.)
  • I'm not gonna go down that road -- especially since I didn't SEE 10 movies in 2008!

2 comments:

Terry Talks Movies said...

Little Jimmy Scott? Man I'm gonna have to watch Twin Peaks again. Glad you and Weaverman hit the meme bandwagon on this one. Your insights and his are always great.

Cerpts said...

Yeah, man! Singing "Sycamore Trees"!