Monday, November 05, 2012

AT YOUR COMMAND...

FIRSTLY, I must thank those who recommended movies for my "TELL RICKSTER WHAT TO WATCH" challenge.

 And you can still make suggestions; there's no real cut-off date.  Just leave your suggestions in the comments and I'll see them.  But I must first announce that, due to circumstances beyond my control, it'll probably be about a week before I can begin digging into some of your viewing suggestions.  A slight hiccup but there you are.  However, I'd like to post here the suggestions that have been made thus far and, while I cannot promise to watch EVERYTHING (some are just not available, frankly), I'll give it the ole college try.  The following are the lists provided by my good friends and neighbours in the order I received them -- and the films I've already seen are in red:

First out of the gate was Rama who now resides over on that west coast thingy.  As Rama's list is being read, in order to put us all in the right frame of mind, please put on a Chet Baker record of your choosing.  Rama commands the following films:  ANDREI RUBLEV,  HIGH AND LOW,  TWO LANE BLACKTOP,  PARIS TEXAS,  IN A LONELY PLACEMY DARLING CLEMENTINE,  SEVEN BEAUTIES,  UGETSU,  MEAN STREETS,  BARAN,  CHAPPAQUA,  MINNIE & MOSKOWITZ,  JUNIOR BONNER,  PERSONA,  and HANNAH AND HER SISTERS.

The second person to respond was my brother of another culture Weaverman:  proprietor of the blog FLEAPIT OF THE MIND over there in England.  Very few people have been as instrumental in bringing fantastic films to my attention so I was anxiously anticipating this list:  VAN HELSING,  GIGLI,  GLITTER,  UNDER THE RAINBOW . . . oh, I'm sorry.  I've got the wrong list.  Ah, here it is -- by command of Weaverman:  LES ENFANTS DU PARADIS,  HAMLET (Russian),  DRIVE,  HOTEL DU NORD,  SECOND BREATH,  LE CERCLE ROUGE,  QUAI DES BRUMES,  LA GRANDE ILLUSION,  THE LOST MOMENT,  and LE TROU.

Next up is my dear wife Ilsa better known as Lisa Star:  the proprietrix of the blog THE SEASON OF PLUM AND COBBLESTONE.  We too have sent film recommendations back and forth over the past decade or more and some of my new all-time favourite films were on her recommendation.  She knows a good deal of what I've seen already so she's steared fairly clear of them and also she happily declares a fondness for documentaries (which I SO share).  And just off the top of her head she's come up with a substantially chunky list.  So Lisa* commands:  SAVANNAH SMILES,  WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE,  LOVELY STILL,  BLUE VALENTINE,  CHRIS & DON:  A LOVE STORY,  THE FUTURE,  BAGHEAD,  GIGANTIC,  LA PIEL QUE HABITO,  LIFE DURING WARTIME,  BOUND,  CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS,  DEAR ZACHARY,  VOLVER,  STEPHEN TOBOLOWSKY'S BIRTHDAY PARTY,  HERB & DOROTHY,  THE BRIDGE,  THE WAY WE GET BY,  JACK GOES BOATING,  MISS PETTIGREW LIVES FOR A DAY,  MR. MAGORIUM'S WONDER EMPORIUM,  RETURN TO ME,  JEFFREY,  and CATFISH.

The next person to respond to my challenge was Australia's favourite son Terry Frost who, in his capacity as master podcaster of the Paleo-cinema podcast and The Martian Drive-In spends much of his time recommending great films for me to watch.  Terry actually responded to my request verbally on his last MDIP podcast.  In addition to all the fine films he's already recommended on Paleo-cinema, Terry commands I watch:  THE 49th PARALLELI KNOW WHERE I'M GOING or any other Powell & Pressburger film I haven't seen yet (which probably just leaves TALES OF HOFFMANN),  A FOREIGN AFFAIR and CREATION OF THE HUMANOIDS.

And finally (so far) we have James over at the "Well You Say That" blog whose exquisite taste commands me to watch the following films:  BRONCO BULLFROG,  ORDER OF DEATH,  THE GETTING OF WISDOM,  THE DREAM TEAM,  TONY:  LONDON SERIAL KILLER,  NIGHTHAWKS,  THE ARSENAL STADIUM MYSTERY,  MARTIN,  THE BIG BUS,  THE NAVIGATOR,  MY SUMMER OF LOVE,  A BITTERSWEET LIFE,  HAWKS,  A HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA,  JUBILEE,  and THE CHANT OF JIMMIE BLACKSMITH.       

No comments: