Friday, October 16, 2020

HUBIE HALLOWEEN [2020]

THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH HUBIE HALLOWEEN THAT REPLACING ADAM SANDLER WOULDN'T FIX. 



OK, that was mean.  The truth is that it's not that bad.  In fact, it's stupid, empty-caloried fun just like all the Halloween candy Hubie's mom keeps in the hall closet.  I'll state up front that I'm not a fan of Sandler or his movies and Steve Brill hasn't exactly set my world on fire with the films he's directed either.  However, I have a sneaking suspicion that Adam Sandler's performance in  HUBIE HALLOWEEN is like many of his other comedy movies (unseen by me) in that they alternate with something truly annoying to something kinda funny.  The most annoying part of Sandler's performnce here is that he is doing an unfunny version of Bill Murray's voice in CADDYSHACK.  I only wish Sandler would make better comedy choices as a more original (and funny) voice would've bumped up my enjoyment factor with this movie.  As it is, the film is still pretty enjoyable despite feeling the need to roll my eyes every time Sandler speaks. 

This is owed solely to the ridiculous amount of familiar faces in the cast who all contribute something; even such a damp squib as Kevin James is pretty good (and almost unrecognizable) as a Muppet cop.  Even Shaquille O'Neal gives it his all as DJ Aurora.  The great Steve Buscemi as a werewolf; who the hell isn't dying to see that??!!  Sublime Maya Rudolph is always great and here she's hilarious (I'm 'Lovin' You', Maya)!  Oscar- nominated June Squibb is a delight as Hubie's Mom.  The great George Wallace is a riot as the Mayor ("Smell My Feet!").  Kyn Whitley and Lavell Crawford could shoulder an entire movie to themselves as Farmer Louise and Farmer Dan.  Tim Meadows is hilarious, Michael Chiklis is great, Ray Liotta is a hoot.  One thing I can say about Adam Sandler here is that he mainly lets everyone else in the cast shine and doesn't try to overshadow anyone and that's the film's major strength.  It's simply a harmless dumb comedy that takes place at Halloween which it's just hard for me to dislike.  So sure, I'd even recommend it for a Halloween hoot.  

No comments: