Friday, October 02, 2020

THE HORROR OF PARTY BEACH [1964]

DEL TENNEY . . . .YOU'RE AN ARTIST, MAN! 

This movie is the ginchiest and I don't mean that in a "so bad it's good" way.  I could watch this movie any time and enjoy myself immensely because THE HORROR OF PARTY BEACH is much, much more entertaining than you'd imagine it could be! I'll admit it . . . I never expected to enjoy this movie. 

Years ago, I had seen THE BEACH GIRLS AND THE MONSTER which was made a year after THE HORROR OF PARTY BEACH and that film is abysmal!  A slog all the way through!  So, when I recently popped in THE HORROR OF PARTY BEACH for a first-time watch, I expect more of the dismal same.  But WOW was I wrong.   Del Tenney has made a film here that combines the best aspects of Frankie & Annette BEACH PARTY movies with the grimy feel of THE MONSTER OF PIEDRAS BLANCAS.  If those two films has a baby, it would be THE HORROR OF PARTY BEACH!  


The film starts out as many like a B&W BEACH BLANKET BINGO clone with the The Del-Aires rocking the sands with their surf music -- and extra props to them for singing a song called "The Zombie Stomp"!  I mean, seriously, how great is that?!?!?  A greaser hooligan biker gang swiftly makes their appearance (bringing shades of Harvey Lembeck but without the comedy) to clash with the sun-drenched beach teens.  But all this beach movie stuff is fun and never dull.  Even the quippy one-liners the teens spout are quite funny! 

And all this before the appearance of our monster who looks like a backward cousin of the Gill Man stuffing his mouth with hot dogs!!!  Oh rapture, I think I'm in heaven!!!!  Funny enough, even though THE HORROR OF PARTY BEACH's monster looks as goofy as the one from CREATURE FROM THE HAUNTED SEA, the monster attacks are treated very straight and are often quite scary and grim! 

Of particular note is a slumber party in which about a dozen teenage girls are slaughtered by the sea monsters.  The attack takes place in the dark and is quite violent and bloody.  And let me take a moment to add that I was quite surprised at the number of sea monsters in the film.  I was only expecting one sea monster but Del sprung for a bunch of monster suits!

  Yet another scene finds a dead guy in a car with his face half eaten off.  So basically this is the horror movie that keeps on giving!  I love it love it love it!

2 comments:

Bob Johns said...

Oh man, this looks like fun! Any idea if it is streaming anywhere?

Cerpts said...

It IS tons of fun! I notice it's streaming on Amazon Prime, if that's a help.