Saturday, February 24, 2007

CHARACTER ACTORS PART 12: MILDRED NATWICK.
Here are some reasons why I love her:
The Quiet Man (1952) w/ John Wayne & Maureen O'Hara
Against All Flags (1952) w/ Errol Flynn & Maureen O'Hara
The Trouble with Harry (1955) directed by Alfred Hitchcock
Barefoot in the Park (1967) w/ Robert Redford & Jane Fonda
The House Without A Christmas Tree (1972) w/ Jason Robards
The Snoop Sisters (1972) w/ Helen Hayes
The Booth (1983) w/ Barnard Hughes
Dangerous Liaisons (1988) w/ Glenn Close & John Malkovich
In her obituary, The New York Times called her "a versatile actress who created an engaging gallery of eccentric, whimsical and spunky characters in plays, films and television for more than 60 years". They sure weren't kidding. Whenever Mildred Natwick appeared on the screen, she was sure to bring a smile to your face. I'm not sure which is my favourite role of hers; either the lovelorn spinster who helps dispose of a corpse in Alfred Hitchcock's "The Trouble With Harry" or as "old character" Grandma Mills who only appears dotty to those who don't know her in my childhood favourite "The House Without A Christmas Tree"? Mildred's son (played by gruff Jason Robards) has been so scarred by the early death of his wife that he refuses to allow a Christmas tree in the house. Mildred's granddaughter enlists her grandmother to try to change his mind. This TV movie from 1972 remained lodged in my memory for years and haunted me until I finally found a VHS copy in the 1990's and the film was every bit as terrific as I recalled. Remember when PBS used to air filmed stage plays in the 80s?!? Well, I also loved Mildred in one of those: "The Booth" was a three-part stage play in which the action centered around a banquet booth. Each of the three sections of the play featured different characters, actors and stories. The section concerning Mildred found her playing an old lady who goes to her class reunion only to find that she and Barnard Hughes are the only classmates still living. Both characters have failing memories and don't remember each other. The comic banter back and forth between these two veteran performers is both poignant and hilarious. I can never again hear the song "Don't Fence Me In" without thinking of Mildred Natwick in this play! Her final film was "Dangerous Liaisons" in which she played a wise and savvy dowager who is quite aware of the naughtiness John Malkovich gets up to. I remember the first time I saw the film; I almost shouted out loud "Hey, that's Mildred Natwick!" That's the kind of joy she brought to the screen and that's why I love her.

No comments: