Thursday, April 06, 2006

THE DIVINE ONE: SARAH VAUGHAN. If there was a Mount Rushmore of vocalists, Sarah Vaughan would be carved up there in stone along with Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington and Billie Holiday. The Divine One or Sassy, as she was known, was simply one of the greatest singers of the 20th century. The first time I heard her was on the radio. The song was "East of the Sun (West of the Moon) and I was absolutely floored. Her voice amazed me. I had never heard someone sing with such originality while still retaining the beauty of the vocal. The song is still one of my favourites. Sarah Lois Vaughan was born in New Jersey (like me) and it pisses me off that we never hung around together. Oh well, I'll always have her brilliant sides to listen to. If it's possible you have never heard Sarah Vaughan sing, take your right hand and slap yourself right across the face. Once you're through with that, you can run right out and find the following songs which, in my opinion, are some of her best tracks. So here we go, my ideal track listing for the Divine One: September in the Rain (Live at Mr. Kelly's), I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter (Live at Mr. Kelly's), Midnight Sun, Lullaby of Birdland, Lover Man, Lush Life, Poor Butterfly, East of the Sun (West of the Moon), I'll Build A Stairway to Paradise, Bidin' My Time, The Man I Love, Summertime, I Won't Say I Will, A Foggy Day, My Funny Valentine, It's Got To Be Love, It Never Entered My Mind, Thou Swell, Blue (duet with Barry Manilow), I Remember You, Teach Me Tonight (live with Joe Williams & Count Basie) and Love You Madly (Live duet with Nat King Cole). That's a nice start.

3 comments:

Pax Romano said...

My Dad loves Sarah Vaughan ... in fact on Father's Day last year I got him a bunch of Vaughan's Cd's (to replace his worn out albums).

Cerpts said...

Now THAT is the sign of a GOOD SON!!!

Star said...

the first sarah vaughan song i ever heard back in '98 is still my favorite-one mint julep. love love love it!