Monday, July 03, 2006

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingCIVILISATION: A PERSONAL VIEW BY KENNETH CLARK. Just last Tuesday, the landmark BBC-TV documentary series "Civilisation" was released on DVD and I've been watching it ever since. "Civilisation" was produced by the BBC in 1969 (and aired in the USA in 1970) and written/hosted by the eminent art historian Sir Kenneth Clark. I must have first seen the 13-part series in the early 80's; probably around (or after) the time of Lord Clark's death in 1983. Since I was minoring in art history in college at the time, I was very interested in watching the series. And I wasn't disappointed. Of course, being a series of 13 hour programs, "Civilisation" is naturally merely an overview of the history of art from the fall of Rome to the present day. Consequently, there are some glaring omissions (more on that later). However, as a personal dialogue by Lord Clark, it is quite fascinating and informative. The series looks to have been remastered for the new DVD since the series I saw in the 80's looked very dim and muddy. Many favourites are covered in the series including some I've pictured here:Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Chartres Cathedral, Caravaggio's Calling of St. Matthew, Photobucket - Video and Image Hostingthe music of English composer Henry Purcell (a personal fave -- particularly "The Gordian Knot Untied" which is used in the series -- that's ole Henry below),

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

or any of the paintings of Jan Vermeer (one of which can be seen here).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Needless to say, I highly recommend the series if you are at all interested in the history of art. And after watching the new DVD of "Civilisation", I am now possitively itching to go the Philadelphia Museum of Art (which I haven't been to since the 90's). HINT: Which one of my loving, kindly friends is going to take me??? Oh, and as for those glaring omissions in "Civilisation" I mentioned earlier. Shockingly, when discussing Michelangelo, Sir Kenneth neglects to show or mention my absolute most favourite sculpture in the history of the world: Michelangelo's Pieta (seen here).Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting It's one of the most poignant, powerful pieces of art I've ever seen and it isn't seen anywhere in the series. Ah well, nobody's perfekt. Lord Clark also fails to show us another of my favourite paintings (which, as it happens, resides in the Philadelphia Art Museum in all it's glory): Rogier Van Der Weyden's Crucifixion (shown here).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Way back in the 80's, on my first visit to the Philly Museum, the Van Der Weyden was magnificently displayed to the greatest effect; you travelled down a long, narrow hall at the end of which you could see the Van Der Weyden picture as your goal. As you walked down the hallway, all you could see in front of you (at a distance) was the painting (with the vibrant red cloth behind the figures as an extra eye-catcher). When you emerged from the hall, the room opened up into a huge circular space with a water fountain in the center of the room. This made you have to traverse the perimeter of the fountain, further prolonging your anticipation to view the painting close up. But then, when you finally stood in front of the painting. . . .well, it's breathtaking. Sadly, the dopes at the museum moved the painting out of that spectacular spot but it's still a stunning picture! Only up close can you see the minute detail Van Der Weyden put into the painting. If you ever get a chance to go to the Philly art museum, check out the tiny tear glistening on Mary's cheek and the fine details of her tiny fingernails. Boy, I gotta get back there to see it. Oh well, until then, I'll enjoy the "Civilisation" DVD.

1 comment:

Cerpts said...

And now that I've shown you some of my favorite pieces of art, what are yours???