Sunday, August 13, 2006

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why, I have forgotten, and what arms have lain Under my head till morning; but the rain Is full of ghosts tonight that tap and sigh Upon the glass and listen for reply. And in my heart there stirs a quiet pain For unremembered lads that not again Will turn to me at midnight with a cry. Thus in the winter stands a lonely tree, Nor knows what birds have vanished one by one, Yet know its boughs more silent than before: I cannot say what loves have come and gone, I only know that summer sang in me A little while, that in me sings no more.

-- Edna St. Vincent Millay

3 comments:

Star said...

'I only know that summer sang in me
A little while, that in me sings no more.'
that was beautiful. thanks a bunch for posting it. y'know, i'm not super familiar with dear old eds, but am anxious to check out some of her work.

Pax Romano said...

What are you, some kind of commie-pinko-islamofacist?

I bet you don't even got no yellow ribbon on yer pick up!

Cerpts said...

Dear Ms. Henri, I'm certainly glad you enjoyed it. I'm not very familiar with Ms. Eds either but I loved that poem; it said quite a lot, I think. Planning on picking up some of her poetry (and possibly her biography cuz I hear she was one crazy mama!).

Dear Pax, I think you commented on the wrong blog, silly. This is the lace-curtained vulnerable poetic one with its heart on its sleeve-- the commie pinko islamofacist one is the one above. Grin grin.

But yes, for my next magical trick ah believe -- ah say I do believe -- that I'll do a bunch of quotes on religion. That oughta raise some hackles, huh???