Sunday, May 27, 2007

CROW FOR TREASURE!
Well, wait a minute ... not THAT kind of crow. Crow T. Robot is rad but I'm not talking about him right now. I just had to crow about some new stuff I was lucky enough to pick up because I'm a little proud of them and . . .well . . . I had to brag to somebody. You're elected. But hey, at least you get to look at some pretty pictures.
The first item on our hit parade is my brand new (new for ME not newly made) 108 bead bodhi seed mala. Ain't it a beaut? You see, the Buddha was sitting underneath a bodhi tree when he became enlightened. And while I had more than several malas already (including a bodhi seed wrist mala), I never had a long 108 bead bodhi see mala until now. There are also several plusses about this one: besides the three tassels (you usually get only one), it has spacers of turquoise each surrounded by red coral beads and Tibetan silver rings (as you can see from the photo). Not to mention the two ring counters and the Tibetan silver bell and dorje.
Second on our hit parade is this set of 4 polystone Tibetan Dyana Buddhas. I first only wanted one but then I dug around and found I could get 4 of em for only a little bit more. So guess what I did. That's right. I gottem all. Well, I'm an only child, right? So you saw THAT coming a mile away. Anyway, here we have a photo; as you will no doubt notice each Buddha is in a different Mudras. And all the Lost fans among you will notice the one in the front left is giving the Namaste (hands together) gesture. Each of the little guys is about 4.5 " tall.
Last but certainly nowhere near least . . . I finally FINALLY managed to get myself a singing bowl. I've wanted one for eons and this one appealed to me. It's a little'un (about 5 inches in diameter). Also, this bowl "sings" in the key of "G" (which I've found I relate to the most); the "G" note represents the "throat chakra" and provides a beautiful, soothing sound which can be used for relaxation, stress reduction and healing. Now, a singing bowl is either struck with a leather-wrapped wooden mallet (called "gonging") or you play the bowl as follows: you hold the singing bowl in your hand, take the mallet and, with an even pressure, run the mallet around the outside of the bowl. You actually use an arm movement as if you are stirring a big kettle of soup. The bowl will sing. This one here is hand etched all around with the Buddhist prayer for peace (Om Mane Padme Om" (seen in the first photo), inside it has etched the "Phumpa" Wealth vase (second photo) and on the bottom is the "Double Dorji" for Wisdom and Wealth (third photo).
Anyway, I think it's keen.

No comments: