Thursday, October 10, 2013

BATTY INDUCTEE NUMBER 10

THERE ARE MANY VERSIONS OF THIS SONG.  Including, of course, the most famous being from the Disney film version performed by Bing Crosby.  That is unquestionably a classic.  However, my favourite version of the song is this one - my tenth inductee into the Batty Halloween Hall of Fame:

THE HEADLESS HORSEMAN by KAY STARR

I've always been a fan of Kay Starr ever since I was a teeny tiny little goblin and I unearthed a 45 of "Flim Flam Floo" at my grandparents' old house in Pennsauken.  In fact, that's always the image that comes into my mind when I hear Kay's version of "The Headless Horseman"; I picture a late-40's/early 50's living room at night - dark except for one pole lamp illuminating a corner of the room.  I love the creeping, tip-toeing orchestra that opens the song and I picture Kay Starr in her 1950's dress sitting in the darkened living room along with the Billy Butterfield Quintet scatting along beside her.  My favourite part of the song is at the end when things get too creepy for her and Kay suggests they turn on a few more lights.  I swear I can hear the sound of the pull chain on the lamp as the song fades out!  Wonderful song! 

No comments: