Tuesday, October 08, 2013

BATTY INDUCTEE NUMBER 8

OUR EIGHTH INDUCTEE INTO THE BATTY HALLOWEEN HALL OF FAME IS THE VERY FIRST "BREAK-IN" RECORD.  In 1956, Dickie Goodman along with partner Bill Buchanan came up with the concept of making a comedy record based on the famous 1938 Orson Welles "WAR OF THE WORLDS" broadcast with snippets of popular hit songs spliced in as part of the dialogue.  Nobody knew what a big hit it would become as well as the progenitor of a whole new genre of "break-in" records.  The 8th inductee into the Batty Halloween Hall of Fame is . . .

THE FLYING SAUCER PT. 1 & 2 by BUCHANAN AND GOODMAN

I've had this 45 as long as I can remember.  It was the original Luniverse 45 so it must've belonged to my mother who picked it up when she was a kid.  I had a lot of her old 45's to listen to at my grandparents' house when I went to stay there on weekends.  This record, along with many others, consequently become ingrained in my very being.  Just the first few seconds of this record propels me immediately back to my grandparents' porch in the 1970s where I'd sit with a stack of 45's and my mother's old portable record player (which only played 45's).  But you need only go listen to it over in the box on the right.

No comments: