Friday, October 18, 2013

BATTY INDUCTEE NUMBER 18

YET ANOTHER SONG FIRST HEARD ON THAT LEGENDARY DR. DEMENTO HALLOWEEN SHOW IN 1978.  This time we feature a song which sounds like it probably originated in British music hall.  I've heard many different versions of it but none hold a candle to this one.  My 18th inductee is . . .

WITH HER HEAD TUCKED UNDERNEATH HER ARM by STANLEY HOLLOWAY

I don't know why but this version has what I think is the proper ghostly atmosphere; other versions tend to overplay the comedic elements of the song but here Holloway lets the song speak for itself without any slapstick vocal shenanigans.  The ghost of Anne Boleyn walks the Bloody Tower!  There is also a nice version by the Kingston Trio from my youth but nothing can compare to Stanley Holloway's rendition.

No comments: