Sunday, October 20, 2013

TODAY'S BOO TUBE: MYSTERY OF PIRATE'S COVE

I REMEMBER WATCHING "THE HARDY BOYS/NANCY DREW MYSTERIES" AS A KID RIGHT AFTER MOVING INTO OUR NEW HOUSE. 

Each week would alternate between a Hardy Boys episode and then a Nancy Drew episode.  And as a boy, I was much more interested in the Hardy Boys episodes and dismissive of the Nancy Drew ones; I mean, c'mon, who wants to see a show about a dumb old girl.  However, recently I got myself season one and discovered something of a sea change.  While I still enjoy the Hardy Boys episodes (although some, especially the first episode, are kinda dumb), I found the Nancy Drew episodes to be superior.  Case in point:  the first Nancy Drew episode "THE MYSTERY OF PIRATE'S COVE".  I mean, just read that title again.  What could be more typically representative of the original books than that title?!? 

Of course, we have an old, abandoned lighthouse in which lights are seen at night and the rumour goes around that it's haunted.  And equally "of course", our intrepid amateur sleuth Nancy Drew insists on poking around with her friends George (female) and Ned (male).  There are lots of "ghostly doings" as well as patented peril for our teen investigators.  A really nice Halloweenie-type viewing starring Pamela Sue Martin and William Schallert as the father of yet another famous TV daughter.  

1 comment:

Wings1295 said...

I loved these as a kid, but haven't been able to give them a second viewing as an adult. Need to. I loved the Hardy Boys books when I was young, I couldn't get enough of them.