Monday, October 07, 2013

CHEESY MONSTERS AND SUPER CHIPS

WAY BACK IN 1991, DORITOS NACHO CHIPS AND PEPSI TEAMED UP WITH UNIVERSAL FOR A COOL EXTRA PREMIUM: UNIVERSAL MONSTER STICKERS. 

Inside a bag of Doritos you would find one of six Universal Monsters stickers.  And naturally I ate my way through them all.  At the time, I made six Halloween mix cassettes (yeah, it was the era of cassette tapes) and I place one of the stickers between the plastic cassette case and the liner note card for a pseudo cover illustration.  Now, since I was extremely brilliant I didn't peel the sticker off and stick them to the cassette tape; hence, they are still in perfect condition.  Ain't they Purdy?

5 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Smart! I wish I had gotten - and saved - them myself!

Cerpts said...

I wonder how many bags of Doritoes it took me to get them all!

Kenneth Huey said...

Whaddya know? My old "monsterpieces" are on the Webs! The main artist for the Universal Monsters project was my old boss, the distinguished late illustrator, Don Ivan Punchatz. I was called in to handle overflow, namely the six stickers that you've featured. Glad you like them!

Ciao,
Ken

Unknown said...

Anybody want any of these? Message me.
I've got them precut and perforated only.
I kept them from when I was a child.
I've got them

Unknown said...

I've got a bunch of them. I had a connection at the place that printed these decal.
When I was a little boy I wrote them and told them I collect stickers. An employee there sent me a bunch. Some are still attacked.