Wednesday, October 16, 2013

BATTY INDUCTEE NUMBER 16

IT'S BACK TO THE FABULOUS FIFTIES FOR THIS ONE.  Steven McQueen and a cast of exciting young people starred in this classic 50's horror/science fiction romp.  The 16th inductee into my Batty Halloween Hall of Fame is . . .

THE BLOB by THE FIVE BLOBS

Actually the Five Blobs is in reality a singer named Bernie Knee who overdubbed himself presumably five times to get the "group" feel.  And yes, the song was written by Burt Bacharach along with Mack David.  I'm sorry but I've just got a lot of love for this movie because it really evokes that classic 50's monster movie era.  And the infectious, simplistic, lovable theme song, though perhaps over-familiar, always makes me smile.  And I also must mention another favourite Blob-related thang - back in the late 1970's the humour magazine CRACKED adapted/parodied the film in a story called "THE TALKING BLOB" and continued with the character in several more appearances; all of which I read and loved at the time and still do.  How can ya not love ole Blobby?!?!?


No comments: