Wednesday, October 02, 2013

GHOSTLY HAUNTS GOODNESS

AS PROMISED YESTERDAY, HERE IS THAT GHOSTLY HAUNTS STORY I WAS TELLING YOU ABOUT. 

I bought this issue right off the newsstand at Thor's Drugstore on Westfield Avenue in Pennsauken when it was first published in the spring of 1974.  Since that very day when I carried it home and read it on my grandparents' front porch, this final story in the issue made an immediate impact and stuck with me to this very day.  I must've read it hundreds of times over the years.  Why exactly has it stuck with me?  Well, I don't really know other than that it's a nifty story by Joe Gill with fantastic artwork provided by Tom Sutton.  I mean, just LOOK at that gorgeous cover!  It's quintessential early-70's horror with the Necronomicon prominently placed on the desk and that spectacularly evocative lizard creature in the cloak.  Pure bliss was this story.  And here you can read it for yourself.  All 7 glorious pages of it.  Just click on the images to biggify them and you'll be able to read every Lovecraftian word.  Yes, this story has a strong Lovecraftian flavor to it.  At that young age (I was 8) I had yet to read any Lovecraft but this story and that old OCCULT FILES OF DR. SPEKTOR issue (which I may also post here if I get up the gumption) were probably my first encounter with the eldritch horror of HPL.  So here's the story "THE WEIRDEST CHARACTER I'VE EVER KNOWN" written by Joe Gill with art by Tom Sutton from Charlton's GHOSTLY HAUNTS #38.  Enjoy.
 
 

No comments: