Friday, October 04, 2013

BATTY INDUCTEE NUMBER 4

SURE IT'S GROSSLY OVERPLAYED AND WE'RE ALL SICK OF HEARING IT.  That's what happens when something begins so ubiquitous it gets played every single Halloween without fail.  However, if you're tired ears can be convinced to listen to it as if it were new and fresh, it's hard to deny the song's iconic status.  That's why the fourth inductee into the Batty Halloween Hall of Fame is. . .

MONSTER MASH by BOBBY "BORIS" PICKETT

We all know it by heart.  There's not much new to say about it.  Other than the fact that it took me until the early 1990s to realize the background singers were singing "Tennis shoe"!  And when I did I was in my car and nearly drove off the road laughing.  So, if you need to hear it once again, it's over there in the box on the right available for another listen.  Give it a try.  You might just rekindle the song's charm in your heart.   Oh, and one more word on a personal note:  the album cover up there is NOT the original and NOT on the cover of the cd I own.  However, I chose the rather tasty Michael Kaluta cover because this was the LP version of the "MONSTER MASH" album which was owned by a friend of mine who sadly committed suicide when he was 16.  I can't ever see this album cover without thinking of him. 

No comments: