Thursday, October 10, 2013

TODAY'S BOO TUBE: TREEHOUSE OF HORROR XXIV

TODAY IT'S A VISIT BACK TO THE TREEHOUSE OF HORROR; THE 24th IN FACT. 

I must admit that I'm not much of a SIMPSONS fan; it's not that I don't like the show because I do.  Although I've seen very few episodes and I've never been that motivated to watch many more.  I usually enjoy it when I'm watching it but I never seek out the show; at most I've only ever found the show mildly amusing.  That being said, the Halloween episodes are sometimes the exception to the rule; I do sometimes seek THEM out.  It must be said that this newest "Treehouse of Horror" was also . . . well, mildly amusing.  The best part of the entire episode and the thing I'd recommend most is the opening "couch gag" which was directed this time by Guillermo del Toro; it is absolutely wonderful with enough sight gags and film references to keep you leaping for the pause and rewind buttons.  Truly tasty.  The three stories that make up the remainder of the episode are a decided come down.  A Dr. Seuss parody "Oh, The Places You'll D'oh" features Homer as "The Fat in the Hat" and falls pretty flat, I'm afraid.  Story number two "Dead and Shoulders" finds Bart beheaded in a kite accident and his head is grafted onto Lisa's body; the parody here is of "THE THING WITH TWO HEADS" etc.  Finally, the episode ends with "Freaks No Geeks" which parodies the cult classic Tod Browning film "FREAKS".  As I've said, all three stories are mildly amusing but rather uninspired.  However, the "couch gag" is a must see. 

No comments: