Saturday, October 19, 2013

BATTY INDUCTEE NUMBER 19

IF YOU EVER GO TO SALEM, MASSACHUSETTS, YOU CAN'T GO INTO ANY SHOP WITHOUT HEARING THE MUSIC OF THIS WOMAN.  And once again I've chosen a song which celebrates the holiday of Halloween itself . . . albeit in it's earlier pagan form.  My next inductee into the Batty Halloween Hall of Fame is . . .

SAMAIN NIGHT by LOREENA MCKENNITT

Surely number one on any Wiccan hit parade, Loreena McKennitt's love letter to Samhain first appeared as the opening track on her third album "PARALLEL DREAMS" which I bought at my local "Strawberries" in 1989.  And, at the time I bought it, I was ridiculed by my friend Cheeks for buying "weird stuff"; oh how his tune would change only a few short years later.  The lyrical intro of the song featuring McKennitt's mystical harp playing paints the mind-picture of a misty forest in which practitioners of the "old religion" gather.  Possibly the loveliest song to be inducted into my Hall of Fame. 

1 comment:

Wings1295 said...

Beautiful tune, haunting.